Sunday, July 26, 2009

And the Honeymoon is officially over. . .

So I think most general contractors are akin to an errant, but good-hearted boyfriend. There are so many good things that you do like, but the bad things that are just a matter of mis-communication, can really get to you. . .and so I think this week was my boiling point with one such issue. I had been throughly enjoying the progress as it went and watching now (this week- ending 7.24) the siding is up on the additions and the masonry and roofs are on the bay windows and so I didn't really take a good look until our morning tour with family this Sunday when I noticed a hole in my slate roof and venting from the gas fireplace taking up a HUGE amount of space in our family room. None of which I was either consulted on, or, more importantly, approved of.
And I know drywall is supposed to start on Monday (or was) because I hate the new 'look' so much, I think that we actually may just scrap the whole fireplace if they can't do what they told me they would. . .and further I am annoyed that NOT ONE PERSON ASKED me if that was OK. I know that it wasn't the plan, because we almost ordered cabinet that would have had to be fit over the new chase and I don't think we can have the TV we expected there over the fireplace. One of two things happened: My GC wasn't consulted and then its entirely his sub's fault (which I hope is the case) or my GC was consulted and just made the decision or forgot to tell me. Of course, I think communication with GC is very important and equally important is his ability to communicate properly and appropriately with the people who are paying for such things. So much on my rant. But I am boiling and this has probably shit my Sunday away quite nicely as I am not sure when I will get an answer about what the H*LL is going on with my house!
Below are last week's pictures (ending 7.17), of the progress with Windows, doors and the rest of the rough-ins (which, also, I note, if are what we expect, are not complete either. . .so I hope my GC understands that. . .) I will hope it's his sub's minscommunication so I can keep 'dating' him without being tempered by this concern.
The new 'view' from the family room.


View of the 'mudroom' from the entryway (via garage) [washer'dryer on the right under window] and the bathroom framed on the left.

View of the exterior from the driveway (both new bay windows and framed out pantry).



View of the Garage and mudroom addition from the driveway.



View of family room from the kitchen.



View of the soon-to-be pantry

View of the new window seat/family room window.

View of the kitchen from the family room doors.


Exterior View of the new windows in the corner (and subsequent masonry to match).



View of the Sliding Glass doors.









No comments: